Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] telnet

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] telnet
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:12:02 -0500

Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> hey, is it possible / how do i mount remote file systems... for
> instance, i have been doing my programming on my school's server, and i
> would like to be able to mount my home dir on that server to something
> on my computer...  this way, i can use all my nifty stuff, then telnet
> in after i'm done using the file to compile it on their system to
> check...  but, i want to do all the other stuff using my progs w/o
> having to go back and forth b/n ftp and telnet...

Yep, It's possible, but not likely.  To NFS mount a disk on the school
server would require the school's system admin to allow NFS mounts of
your home dir over your ppp link.  Most system admin types might not be
willing to take the security risks with NFS.  There are other, less
used, ways of getting remote files that may be more secure, but each
requires it's own setup, and setting up stuff takes time.

You can try to talk them into letting you NFS mount if you want, but
I'll bet that it would be less time consuming to just duplicate the
tools on their server on your linux box so you can keep the need to use
their server to a minimum.  (Unless you alreay know the system admin
types, or somebody who has root access who can set up NFS for you..)
Most programming tools are easily available on Linux with the exception
of perhaps Java.  But even Java is available, just a pain to set up
sometimes.  (Hopefuly that will change soon.)

I know you can get C, C++, Fortran, Pascal, Multiple Editors, debuggers,
databases and such with GNU licenses, and even some main line
development tools (Rational Rose, Various Builders) at vast student
discounts.  Surely the tools on the School's box can be replicated on
yours?  Just let me know what you need, and I'll be happy to point you
to free Linux solutions.

-= bob =-