Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Intellemouse question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Intellemouse question
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:41:16 -0500 (CDT)

On 19 Sep 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > is there a way i can support intellemouse in linux?  i've got one of
> > those funky mice w/ a thirdbutton/scroll wheel, and LOVED it in
> > windoze... is there a way to get that in linux?
>
> You can find all the info you need at:
>
> http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
>
> > p.s. like the plain text?  finally got it config-ed rite...
>
> Great!
>
> > p.p.s. is anyone here on ICQ?  what clone do you think is the best?
>
> ICQ is a terribly buggy and insecure system and is best avoided, IMHO.
> It is possible to easily impersonate another user, steal their ICQ
> password, etc.  We can create better solutions using standard Unix
> tools.

Unfortunatley some of us have friends that still use windows, (and if you
think everyone can use linux, try to teach my Mom linux) and aren't
planning to change. Instead of getting rid of such friends we choose to
sitll communicate to them.

Besides as we have an exiting system, as we start making better clients
(even for windows system) than Mirabilis. Hopefully we can convince more
people including Mirabilis, about the advantage of Open Source (tm)
software.

And besides ICQ is better then the  other alternative is the AOL messenger
thing they bundle with Netscape now (less features, but you can contact
AOL people).

Also Mirabilis is getting better with security. When they found out they
had a bug that would let someone else log in as you, they had a fix to the
server in 12 hrs.

And finally there are some things that being secure doesn't matter much
(someone can pretend to be me over ICQ? who cares, its just a little
thing to talk to friends. I don't day anything really important over ICQ)

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.cs.twsu.edu/~cabrubak     |