Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] How much disk space??

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How much disk space??
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 07:50:01 -0500

sohel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just acquireda 486dx66Mhz machine from a friend(He was using it as a
> paper weight). I would like to install Debian on it. I would like to
> know how much disk space would it take for a decent install(kernel +
> some kool goodies + X)...

Well... you might make due with 100 meg (or less) but that would be very
tight and leave you extreamily limited in what you could install for
applications...  300 Meg seems reasonable, but it is still tight if you
are adding very many X applications.  You can install *ALL* of Red Hat
5.1 in about 800 meg (X applications and all) and I'd bet you could burn
the better part of 10 Gig if you installed all the "Red Hat Power Tools"
collection (Why one would want to, I don't know).

So I guess, the answer to your question is "it depends upon what exactly
you want to install". For what you describe, I would hope to have 250
meg for starters, but you will have to watch the disk space closely if
you try to install much in the way of applications.  It might be a bit
tight, but old 250 Meg IDE disk drives are arround.  (I have one
collecting dust from my old 386 that has long since moved on to the
eternal reset state in the junk heap..)

My personal system has just over 1.2 Gig of space partitioned for Linux
on my 5.3 Gig drive. Of that, about 70% is in use.  I'm into trying out
new development tools, languages and beta kernels which eat up space,
plus I run Red Hat wich is not the smallest distribution known to man,
so runing Deban and a minimum of X applications w/o all the development
tools, would likely fit in 200 meg.  I've heard that somebody has a
complete linux kernel and root file system on a 1.44 Meg floppy and a
minimul system for recovery operations is easily put on 2 1.44 Meg
Floppies..  So it just depends.  What you describe is bigger than 2.88
meg, but less than a few Gig....  Does that help... (grin).

-= bob =-