Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
[aclug-L] My hour on need, revenge of kernel

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] My hour on need, revenge of kernel
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 01:32:04 -0500 (CDT)

Ok I am once again trying to recompile my kernel (have tried both 2.0.34
and 2.0.35) And it wont boot.

make menuconfig
        set up my options.
make dep; make clean
make zImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz

I get this error after it finds my scsi card (NCR 875XX driver, yes thats
the correct one)

        scsi: detected total.
        Partition Check:
        VFS: Cannot opne root device 08:05
        Kernel Panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 08:05

I do have scsi and the NCR driver compiled into the kernel (not as
modules)
I'v added module support for sound, ppp, parallel printer, zip drive, and
various filesystems (ext2 is complied in and not as a module)

I interpret that It count mount the root device fully, and since it
doesn't mention it, maybe can't find my scsi (and only) drive.

Due to problems last time I wisely kept and old copy of my kernel which I
can boot from. But I'd really like sound so I can listen to my bootleg
Axel the Sot mp3z :) (I wonder whats the difference between them and
mp3s?) (and no I don't really have axle the sot mp3s, but i did buy 2 of
his tapes
today)

Please help or i might be driven crazy and start typing with all capital
letters using punctiotion and place of letters, and replacing the zuh
sounding s's with z's . I 'll be your best friend (unless you already
know me in which case the I'l reward but not admitting you know me in
public)

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.cs.twsu.edu/~cabrubak     |