Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
[aclug-L] No modem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] No modem
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 00:54:55 -0500

Greetings all,

Being a tyro in the Linux arena, I find myself in need of assistance.

I can't seem to talk to the modem in my box. When trying to start minicom
I get the following error message:

        Minicom: cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory

Trying to open Seyon leads to pretty much the same thing. I take it that
if the machine knew it had a modem there would be a /dev/modem file. Is
that the case?

A little background. The machine is a 486. The modem is a Zoom 33.6.All of
the drives and serial ports and parallel port are controlled by the IDE card.
To get the modem to work under Win95 I had to disable the PnP feature and set
it to be COM4 and IRQ3. It would then work under Win95. I was unable to find
any way to disable COM2 on the IDE card so that the modem could assume that
natural position under PnP.

Is this part of the problem now under Linux (RH5.1)? Would enabling the PnP
setting on the modem and reinstalling help? Is there a way in Linux to make
the /dev/modem file so that commo progies can find the modem, perhaps
setserial?

I must admit to being a little frustrated, but the challenges in installing
Linux and getting X to run have been very educational. I just need a little
help with this next hurdle.

Any and all help, and or suggestions, will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne