Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] recompiling in RH5.1

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] recompiling in RH5.1
From: JOHNSTONE JEREMY S <jsjohnst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 00:51:22 -0500 (CDT)

For future reference the steps to compile by which will avoid this problem
is. (Read through list and find step you missed (probably #4 ) then do
everything after that step.)

1.) make config
2.) make dep; make clean
3.) make <type>  where type equals zImage, bzImage, zlilo, bzlilo, zdisk
                  etc. make your pick. I use zlilo.
4.) mv /lib/modules/<kernel ver.> /lib/modules/bkup
                 <kernel ver.> = 2.0.35 or whatever your using.
5.) make modules; make modules_install

Now if you still see that error message then try moving the file it
specifies to a totally different directory (i.e. /lib/modules). If your
system still runs fine after doing this then you probably didn't need the
module anyway. (if not hope you have a bootdisk handy, everyone has one
right? <G>)

Jeremy Johnstone