Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] internet usage

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] internet usage
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:41:39 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

> Truong Do <tcdo@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > This is the first time I use Linux at home so I have a lot of problems to
> > get on the network.  Could someone tell me how to get on the net through
> > the modem? How to get a service provider? And how to ftp, telnet and mail?
> > I use Red Hat version.
>
> OK, several questions here.  I'll address the Linux-related ones
> first.
>
> In RedHat, there are several ways to configure your system for dialing
> up with PPP.  The first is to use the RedHat control panels.  This is
> usually easiest but doesn't always work.

It seems to work for me, although I'm at a loss when I try to get it to
accept the dynamic IP that netcom sends to you just before they start
PPP (at least that's what I think is going on) because my PPP connection
gets closed after a few min...

Come to think of it... Maybe it's the routing that's not working...  Who
knows what to check on the nifty Red Hat tool to tell how the routing is
going to be done?

> At present, the only entry there is for SouthWind.  Some people have
> sent me phone numbers, DNS numbers, etc. for other ISPs so when I have
> time I will write something up for them too -- probably a tarfile and
> a message that says "use the SouthWind instructions from here on."
> (Although if anyone is interested in writing a whole page for another
> ISP, please contact me.)

Hey.. Netcom has some information on how to connect to them... It worked
for me but it was not as easy as it sounded.  ...Let's see, the URL is
http://www1.netcom.com/bin/webtech/NETCOM_Accounts/Other_OS/linux.cfg.html

BTW..
I would be very interasted in building a perl/TK interface that could
set up the various things (DNS, routes) for some of the common
distributions of linux... I just don't feel I'm the expert in what we
would need to do... I can easily do the Perl/TK work but I would need to
be advised by some UNIX networking expert on exactly what to do in the
background...

Any takers?

-= bob  =-