Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Well it compiled ...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Well it compiled ...
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:25:38 -0500 (CDT)

On 23 Jun 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I did include my SCSI card driver (I have only a SCSI hd) and SCSI
> > support, and the ext2 filesystem .
> >
> > My card is an NCR875J so I don't understand the NCR..460 error.
> > I tried both NCR 8xx drivers, and get the same results.
>
> Is this a Symbios card or a card that just uses the Symbios chipset?
>
> In any case, the driver you want is NCR53C8xx.  I think you have the
> same card I do -- mine is a Symbios with the 53c875 chipset.

which it the one i'm using

> > I am able to boot from a kernel on a floppy.
>
> The same kernel or a different one?

the one on the floppy. THe resue disk I made after I installed it the
first time.

> > So what did i do wrong? (i did make dep;make clean; make zlilo; make
> > modules; make modules_install neither scsi or ext2 are compiled as
> > modules I dones seem to find my sound card but I don't get far enough to
> > test it)
>
> You may need to check to see if the root= line in /etc/lilo.conf is
> properly set to your SCSI boot device.   If not, it could be trying to
> boot from an IDE device or something.  Also, if you have multiple SCSI
> controllers, it may be probing them in an order you didn't expect.

I'll check that. I have only one scsi controller, but I did add zip
parallel support as a module (but I don't have zip drive connected)

any other suggestions? (other then copying the kernel from the floppy?)