Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Well it compiled ...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Well it compiled ...
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Jun 1998 13:39:44 -0500

Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I did include my SCSI card driver (I have only a SCSI hd) and SCSI
> support, and the ext2 filesystem .
>
> My card is an NCR875J so I don't understand the NCR..460 error.
> I tried both NCR 8xx drivers, and get the same results.

Is this a Symbios card or a card that just uses the Symbios chipset?

In any case, the driver you want is NCR53C8xx.  I think you have the
same card I do -- mine is a Symbios with the 53c875 chipset.

> I am able to boot from a kernel on a floppy.

The same kernel or a different one?

> So what did i do wrong? (i did make dep;make clean; make zlilo; make
> modules; make modules_install neither scsi or ext2 are compiled as
> modules I dones seem to find my sound card but I don't get far enough to
> test it)

You may need to check to see if the root= line in /etc/lilo.conf is
properly set to your SCSI boot device.   If not, it could be trying to
boot from an IDE device or something.  Also, if you have multiple SCSI
controllers, it may be probing them in an order you didn't expect.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |