Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: January 1999:
ACLUG Meeting January 25

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG Meeting January 25
From: John Goerzen (ACLUG) <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:56:06 -0600

         --== Air Capital Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS ==--
                          http://www.aclug.org/

Monday, January 25, 1998                     http://www.aclug.org/events/
Contact: John Goerzen <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Location: 7:00/7:30 PM in 260 Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

IN THIS MESSAGE
===============

 * Linux '99 (ACLUG meeting)
 * Other business and discussions
 * Meeting format
 * Location information and links to maps
 * Contacts, Background information on ACLUG, and miscellaneous

LINUX '99
=========

To bring in the new year of our favorite free operating system, we're going
to try something new: a trivia contest.  The idea is that a few volunteers
compete against each other answering Linux trivia questions submitted by the
audience.  The people that get the most questions right win prizes, and the
audience members that ask the most questions that nobody can answer will get
nifty Linux prizes too.  It ought to be fun and interesting at the same
time!  Feel free to come to watch, or to participate!

OTHER DISCUSSIONS
=================

Before the contest, we'll be taking care of some ACLUG business and have a
short discussion on some other topics.  As always, informal Q&A at 7 PM, and
things get started at 7:30.

The list includes:

 * Year 2000 status of Linux
   (Why you'll be really glad you're using Linux next year)
   This could be of particular interest to businesses using
   NT servers.

 * Kernel 2.2 status -- it may be released in time for our meeting!

 * Discounted Linux Journal subscriptions.  For just showing up at an
   ACLUG meeting, you can get a nice discount on a subscription to
   Linux Journal.  We'll have forms for you to use to take
   advantage of that.

And in ACLUG business, the list currently includes:

 * Possibility of moving the ACLUG meeting date to Tuesdays.
   Response in the mailing lists has been completely positive thus far,
   so hopefully we can decide the issue on Monday, the 25th.
   Regardless of the decision, the upcoming meeting will still be
   held on Monday, January 25.

 * Suggestions for topics that people would like to see discussed in
   1999.  I've got a short list already; more ideas are already welcome.
   I'd like to hear what sort of interest people have in various topics.

 * Upcoming Free Linux Install -- when?

 * ACLUG barbecue, get-together, or pot-luck, some Saturday(s)?

 * A few other small items of business

FUTURE ACLUG MEETINGS
=====================

Please send suggestions for future topics to aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx or mention
them at the Monday meeting.  Consider this the ACLUG suggestion box! :-)

I don't like picking topics.  I'd rather have people let me know what they'd
like to hear discussed at the meeting.

MEETING FORMAT REMINDER
=======================

One issue that has been somewhat troublesome is making presentations
interesting and useful for people with a wide range of Linux
experiences.  We want our meetings to be useful for as many people as
possible, so our plan is this: For those of you that are starting out
with Linux, or just interested in what Linux can do, please feel free
to join us at 7:00 PM on each meeting date (every other Monday).
We'll cover some basics about the evening's topic or Linux in general.
Also, if you have any Linux questions (beginning or advanced), we'd
like to get to them between 7 and 7:30 so that the evening doesn't get
too late for those that have to work or go to class in the morning.

Our regular presentation will begin at 7:30 as it always has.  Off
course, if you can make it at 7, you're encouraged to stay for the
whole program.  You are welcome to arrive at either 7 or 7:30.

LOCATION & MAPS
===============

We will hold the this event in the Computer Science Department in
Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State University.
ACLUG has assembled some driving instructions on the Web at
http://www.aclug.org/maps/.  We will be located on the second floor of
Jabara Hall.  We expect to be in room 260, but we'll be sure to post
signs if we need to relocate elsewhere.  You'll be able to find a sign
on the wall in front of the 2nd floor elevator when you arrive.

MISCELLANEOUS

About the Air Capital Linux Users Group
---------------------------------------

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover
better ways to take advantage of modern computing through the use of
Linux.  All ACLUG events are free; we have hosted two free Linux
installation events, during which Linux was installed on dozens of
computers for no charge.  We would like to show the benefits of Unix
operating systems such as Linux to as many people as possible.  ACLUG
members range from people just starting out with computers and Linux
to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

About Linux
-----------
Linux is a modern, fully 32- and 64-bit operating system that runs on
a wide variety of hardware.  Its most popular use is on PC-style
hardware, where Linux can completely replace Windows 95, Windows 98,
or NT.  Linux sports astounding reliability, power, flexibility,
scalibility, and networking.  Linux is the most popular OS for
Internet servers, beating NT.  Linux also works on less-expensive
computers than NT.

Linux is developed by a worldwide team of programmers: individuals,
companies, and universities using the Internet.  All source code is
available, allowing peer review -- which is important for an operating
system.

ACLUG would like to show you the benefits of Linux for home and
business use.  Feel free to attend one of our meetings or ask
questions about Linux at aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  You may also examine the
archives of previous discussions on our discussion lists at
http://www.complete.org/mailinglists/archives/ or join the list;
Announcements for upcoming ACLUG meetings and events will always be sent
first to the aclug-announce mailing lists.

-- John Goerzen
--
This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group announcements list. Subscribe and