Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: July 1998:
EXCITING NEWS!

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: EXCITING NEWS!
From: Air Capital Linux Users Group (John Goerzen) <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:15:21 -0500

Hello everyone!

Two very exciting news pieces.

First, I have word that the official release date for Debian 2.0 is
July 24.  We will still go ahead with our planned topic on the 27th.
However, I would like to tentatively plan to have a Free Linux
Install/Upgrade event at our next date -- August 10.  I think we can
try to have something going all afternoon and evening like before.
There is a lot of preparation we need to do for this, so we may end up
having to delay it a week if everything doesn't fall into place in
time.

In the meantime, please send me an e-mail if you would like to
volunteer to help as an installer for this event.  To find out a bit
about it, take a look at our Events page at
http://www.aclug.org/events/, scroll all the way to the bottom, and
look at the descriptions for our spring events.  Once a date is known
for our summer/fall installation, I'll be posting announcements in the
usual place.  Also, if you have Partition Magic, please let me know.

Now then, on to the second item in my file this morning...

Here is very exciting news for the Linux community.  Oracle has announced
today that they are porting their Oracle 8 database to Linux.  This
is a tremendous boost to Linux -- Oracle is widely regarded as the best
SQL database available, and having it for Linux will eliminate the need
for other platforms for database servers in some locations.

You can find links to articles and excited discussion at:

http://www.slashdot.org/articles/980717/1934203.shtml
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?980717.whorlinux.htm

We will of course mention this at our next meeting the 27th.

Oracle has an estimated release of March 1999.

Regards,
John Goerzen

--
This is the Air Capitol Linux Users Group announcements list. Subscribe and