Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: July 1998:
ACLUG: LINUX Power; Monday, July 27

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG: LINUX Power; Monday, July 27
From: Air Capital Linux Users Group (John Goerzen) <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Jul 1998 13:29:14 -0500

         --== Air Capital Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS ==--
                          http://www.aclug.org/

Monday, July 27, 1998: LINUX Power!               http://www.aclug.org/events/
Contact: John Goerzen <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>        316-978-5616
Location: 7:30 PM in Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

LINUX Power!

What can Linux do for you?  Where does Linux come from, and why does
it do multitasking better than Windows?

If you've wanted to know the answers to these questions, come to our
meeting on July 27.  We'll start off with a short introduction to
Linux for those that haven't ever used it before or are just starting
to use Linux.  Then we'll talk a bit about where Linux comes from and
the history of Unix -- you'll understand why Linux is so powerful.
Also covered will be some examples of situations in which Linux has
drastically reduced the cost of computing for companies,
organizations, and individuals.

After that, there will be live demonstrations of some of the hottest
applications in Linux.

This meeting would be an IDEAL time for someone just starting with
Linux, or considering the use of Linux, to check out the Air Capital
Linux Users Group.

Some programs you can expect to see include: graphics editors and 3-D
designers/renders (GIMP, sced, moonlight, Blender, pov-ray), graphical
interfaces (the NEW KDE, Enlightenment, and perhaps GNOME and
GNUstep), XTV and VNC, various Linux games, and more.  Audience
suggestions will be taken as well.

Finally, there will be machines available for hands-on
experimentation.  If you've never used Linux before, this is your
chance to sit down at a real Linux machine and see how easy it is to
use and how much power it has for you.

For those of you that have been to our meetings before, there will
also be demos of all the hot new programs that have arrived since our
Linux Showcase back in May.  (You don't want to miss this!  We'll try
to have a demo of the new flight simulator for Linux, among other things.)

LOCATION

We will hold the this event in the Computer Science Department in
Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State University.
ACLUG has assembled some driving instructions on the Web at
http://www.aclug.org/maps/.  We will be located on the second floor of
Jabara Hall.  An exact room number is not known at this time; however,
signs will be posted that day.  You'll be able to find a sign on the
wall in front of the 2nd floor elevator when you arrive.

FOR MORE INFORMATION write to aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  Further details
will be posted to the aclug-announce mailing list; you can subscribe
for free at http://www.aclug.org/mailinglists/.

FUTURE ACLUG/LINUX EVENTS

Suggestions are welcome.  Current suggestions I have on my list
include security, encryption, and databases.  Please send your
suggestions to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Another Linux install event is approaching; see below.  At our Linux
install events, we install Linux for free on virtually any computer
that you can bring to us.

MISCELLANEOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS

Debian 2.0 is nearing the end of its beta test cycle.  Expect the
final release to appear on FTP sites Real Soon Now (think days, not
weeks here!) and CDs to appear shortly afterwards.

Once 2.0 is out, we'll announce a Free Linux Installation event --
ACLUG members will volunteer to install Linux on your computer or
upgrade your computer to the latest version of Linux from our
installation last Spring.

ABOUT THE AIR CAPITAL LINUX USERS GROUP

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover
better ways to take advantage of modern computing through the use of
Linux.  All ACLUG events are free; we have hosted two free Linux
installation events, during which Linux was installed on dozens of
computers for no charge.  We would like to show the benefits of Unix
operating systems such as Linux to as many people as possible.  ACLUG
members range from people just starting out with computers and Linux
to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |