Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: July 1998:
ACLUG meeting MONDAY, July 13

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG meeting MONDAY, July 13
From: John Goerzen ACLUG <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Jul 1998 00:01:37 -0500

         --== Air Capitol Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS ==--
                           http://www.aclug.org

NOTE NEW MEETING DAY: MONDAYS (every other week)

July 13, 1998: Linux Programming/Development       http://www.aclug.org/events
Contact: John Goerzen <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>        316-978-5616
Location: 7:30 PM in Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
This event is free and open to the public.

Linux Programming/Development

Linux is an excellent platform for programming.  It comes with a full
suite of compilers, editors, and IDE tools that would cost thousands
of dollars on other platforms.  We'll take a look at the various
development tools available in Linux.  This will include things such
as the C and C++ compilers, Pascal converters, the XEmacs editor, Tcl
and Perl interpreters, and visual development environments for Tcl and
Perl.  These visual development environments do not necessarily
require that you have a knowledge of programming to be useful.

LOCATION

We will hold the this event in the Computer Science Department in
Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State University.
ACLUG has assembled some driving instructions on the Web at
http://www.aclug.org/maps/.  We will be located on the second floor of
Jabara Hall.  An exact room number is not known at this time; however,
signs will be posted that day.  You'll be able to find a sign on the
wall in front of the 2nd floor elevator when you arrive.

FOR MORE INFORMATION write to aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  Further details
will be posted to the aclug-announce mailing list; you can subscribe
for free at http://www.aclug.org/mailinglists/.

FUTURE ACLUG/LINUX EVENTS

Debian 2.0 has entered beta status.  ACLUG will plan to have another
free Linux installation after it is officially released.  Stay tuned
for details.

John Goerzen will be the guest speaker at the Newton Computer Users
Group meeting on July 14th.  The topic will be an introduction of
Linux.

MISCELLANEOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS

Take a look at some screenshots that show off the new Afterstep at
http://www.aclug.org/info/.

Thanks to Bryan Reed for providing the new server for www.aclug.org!

RedHat 5.1 for Sparc is out.  Word is that Debian Sparc 2.0 will be
out as well, although somewhat delayed from the i386 partnership,
thanks to help from Kachina Technologies and Sun Microsystems.

Your ideas for future meeting topics are always appreciated.  Plese
write to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx for discussion on future topics.

We may be meeting in a different room than usual on Monday.  As usual,
there will be signs in front of the elevators directing you to the
correct location.  Our current meeting spot is shortly going be turned
into a new Linux lab.  (WSU students will be pleased, I'm sure <grin>)

If you have a good graphic for a new ACLUG logo, we'd like to here
from you.  Maybe we can get a contest going or something.  We need
something with a white background to blaze across the top of the
website.  Best if you use the Gimp to create it :-)

ABOUT THE AIR CAPITOL LINUX USERS GROUP

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover
better ways to take advantage of modern computing through the use of
Linux.  All ACLUG events are free; we have hosted two free Linux
installation events, during which Linux was installed on dozens of
computers for no charge.  We would like to show the benefits of Unix
operating systems such as Linux to as many people as possible.  ACLUG
members range from people just starting out with computers and Linux
to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |