Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: June 1998:
ACLUG announcement

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG announcement
From: John Goerzen ACLUG <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jun 1998 09:15:01 -0500

Hello everyone,

I hope you will all be able to make it to our July 2 meeting.  We have
a few things to discuss.  Please send any feedback to the ACLUG
discussion list at aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  First let me say that
regardless of the outcome of these discussions, our next meeting will
remain on Thursday, July 2.

Now then, the first issue regards our meeting dates.  We discussed
this briefly at our Multimedia Linux event, but let's go into a bit
more detail now.  It has come to my attention that there are two
computer science classes at WSU that meet Tuesdays and Thursdays
during our regular meeting time.  One of those classes is an Intro to Unix
class.  This poses a bit of a dilemma -- should we meet on a different
day or not?  Since ACLUG is for the whole community and not just WSU,
I do not want to move meetings to a different day unless people that
are not involved with WSU like the idea as well.  On the other hand,
there is a strong concentration of Linux and Unix at WSU, and our
current meeting date prevents a dozen or so people from being able to
attend our meetings (that otherwise would like to attend.)  I also
want to make ACLUG accessible to as many people as possible.  Our only
other options are Mondays or Wednesdays.  I would like to
hear from everyone regarding the opinions on whether or not to move to
a different day.  While we're considering this, I'd like to make sure
that 7:30 PM is a good time for everyone.  It seems to be working
pretty well at the moment, so I don't see a big reason to change.

Secondly, our July 2 event will discuss networking with Linux.  I
don't have any particular topics planned past that date.  So I'm again
soliciting feedback about what topics everyone is interested in
covering.  We've had a number of overview types of sessions, and with
the exception of kernel compilation, haven't really gone into a lot of
detail.  We also haven't discussed programming under Linux much.  This
is one particular interest of mine but I know that not everyone is
interested in programming, so as usual, please let me know what you'd
like to see discussed.  At the moment, I have down on my "to discuss"
list XEmacs and Linux databases.  We could probably make a meeting out
of those two things if everyone is interested.

A few other miscellaneous announcements:

 * Debian 2.0 is in beta.  MSNBC has declared Linux "Ready for Prime
   Time" and had a glowing review of RedHat.  You can find out more
   on the ACLUG news page at http://www.aclug.org/news/.
 * There is a new "Reasons to use Linux" page at
   http://www.aclug.org/info/
 * ACLUG has maps and driving instructions for getting to our events
   at http://www.aclug.org/maps/

Finally, Clint pointed out a mistake in my meeting announcement:

> LOCATION
>
> We will hold the Multimedia Linux event in the Computer Science
> Department in Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State

Instead of "Multimedia Linux", this should read "NetLinux".  Oops.
I'm being overzealous with the cut and paste again :-)

Regards,
John Goerzen

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |