Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: June 1998:
ACLUG Meeting July 2, 1998

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG Meeting July 2, 1998
From: John Goerzen ACLUG <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Jun 1998 21:52:32 -0500

         --== Air Capitol Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS ==--
                           http://www.aclug.org

July 2, 1998: NetLinux                            http://www.aclug.org/events
Contact: John Goerzen <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>        316-978-5616
Location: 7:30 PM in Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
This event is free and open to the public.

NetLinux

Linux has been the platform of choice for a long time for networking.
MSNBC reports that 40% of WWW sites use the Apache server, more than
twice that of the nearest competitor.  Linux's networking supports PPP
for dialing in to an ISP from home.  It also has outstanding Ethernet
support, making it work well in a corporate setting as well.  Linux is
not only excellent for Internet and Intranet uses, but it also can
communite to Microsoft (SMB/NetBEUI/LanManager), AppleTalk, Netware,
and other networks in their native protocol.  This allows you to use a
Linux machine to serve files and printers for computers running not
only Linux but also a wide range of other OSs.  We'll discuss these
things and demonstrate the use of Linux in a large network.  We'll
also demonstrate the various servers in Linux, using Linux to connect
to an ISP, and using a Linux client in a network running non-Linux servers.

Following the presentation, there will be an informal Q&A session, as
well as time for everyone to try out the software for themselves.

LOCATION

We will hold the Multimedia Linux event in the Computer Science
Department in Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State
University.  ACLUG has assembled some driving instructions on the Web
at http://www.aclug.org/maps/.  We will be located on the second floor
of Jabara Hall.  An exact room number is not known at this time;
however, signs will be posted that day.  You'll be able to find a sign
on the wall in front of the 2nd floor elevator when you arrive.

FOR MORE INFORMATION write to aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  Further details
will be posted to the aclug-announce mailing list; you can subscribe
for free at http://www.aclug.org/mailinglists/.

FUTURE ACLUG EVENTS

Debian 2.0 has entered beta status.  ACLUG will plan to have another
free Linux installation after it is officially released.  Stay tuned
for details.

MISCELLANEOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS

The ACLUG website has a new webpage about the benefits of using
Linux.  Take a look at http://www.aclug.org/info/.

John Goerzen from the Air Capitol Linux Users Group will be the guest
speaker at a future Newton Computer Users Group meeting.  The talk
will be an introduction to Linux aimed at those that are not familiar
with it or may not even have heard of it before.  This is tentatively
scheduled for Tuesday, July 14 at Business Computer Centers in Newton.
Write to jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx for details.

ABOUT THE AIR CAPITOL LINUX USERS GROUP

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover
better ways to take advantage of modern computing through the use of
Linux.  All ACLUG events are free; we have hosted two free Linux
installation events, during which Linux was installed on dozens of
computers for no charge.  We would like to show the benefits of Unix
operating systems such as Linux to as many people as possible.  ACLUG
members range from people just starting out with computers and Linux
to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |