Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: June 1998:
ACLUG notes and reminder

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG notes and reminder
From: John Goerzen ACLUG <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Jun 1998 00:34:09 -0500

Hello everyone,

Quick reminder: Our next meeting will be held Thursday, July 2 at 7:30
PM in 2nd floor Jabara Hall on the campus of Wichita State.  The topic
is networking with Linux.  Many more details are at
http://www.aclug.org/events/

There has been much discussion about moving ACLUG meetings to a
different day of the week.  The response so far to switching days to
either Mondays and Wednesdays has been quite positive -- everyone that
wrote me wanted to switch.  Of those two days, Monday was a slight
preference.  We will surely discuss this on Thursday -- please keep
sending e-mail with your opinion.  We want to make our meetings
accessible to as many people as possible.

Note: Regardless of any decision to switch to different days, our next
meeting will be held THURSDAY, July 2.

There are new screenshots with the latest AfterStep and Eterm
available at http://www.aclug.org/info/ -- some of the development
going on in both of these programs is quite amazing.  This is the
future of the graphical interface and it's happening right before our
eyes on Linux.  Also of interest is the Enlightenment project at
http://www.enlightenment.org -- this project is too early in
development to be of wide use but from the screenshots, it looks like
it has a potential to have a substantial impact on user interfaces.
Couple that with the GNOME and KDE developments and there is quite a
fascinating and powerful environment.

In other news, the FTC rejected Adaptec's attempt to buy out Symbios
Logic.  Both companies make SCSI and related embedded chips, which are
used primarily with high-end powerful data storage needs.  The Linux
community is, in general, glad that Adaptec failed in its attempt
since Adaptec's track record of Linux support hasn't been all that
great.  However, it turns out that another company, LSI Logic, is
going to try to buy Symbios -- not much is know about this at this
time.  Symbios is of particular interest to our group since they
employ about 450 people locally and several people in our group work
there.

I have been receiving numerous queries about another Linux install
event.  The plan is to have another one.  Hopefully it will happen
soon.  The plan at the moment is to wait until the official release of
Debian 2.0 and host an install/upgrade event.  There are some issues
to be worked out yet but we'll try and get an event scheduled ASAP.
It would not be wise to have an install event immediately when the
release of 2.0 is so near -- we'd much rather install brand new
software on the machines.

As always, your suggestions for future meeting topics are welcome.
Currently on my slate are: databases, emacs, programming in Linux,
Visual TCL (Linux's answer to Visual Basic), window manager
customization.  After our next installation event, we'll probably talk
about all the new toys that you'll get.

Hope to see everyone at our meeting Thursday!

PS... Remember, please send in your opinion about a new meeting day
now if you haven't already.  I'd like to get this issue decided at our
Thursday meeting if at all possible.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |