Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: October 2002:
[webdev] Re: webdev meeting

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: webdev meeting
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:19:00 -0500

Easy enough to do.  I can can ftp over my aclug directory, or we can install
from source.  We can then either load from my nightly sql dump or rebuild
from scratch.

>   2) I think the minimum requirements for this are:
>
>       a) The website needs to be maintainable by a team of ACLUG
>          people; minimally I think this is 3-4 people. (This is
>          the main problem we identified with the old website.)

Agreed, and easy to implement.

>       b) The ACLUG community needs to be able to contribute to
>          the content on the website.

Fairly do-able, depending on what is to be contributed. As currently
implemented, some things are easier to do than others.

>       c) Some things this has to include are: a calendar, access
>          to mail lists, a repository for presentations. Anything
>          else is gravy (although a lot more things would be nice).

The calendar works good, and anyone can submit an item for approval.
Mailing list interface would have to be custom programmed.  The web forums
are currently running PhpBB v 1.7(?) as a module. While PhpBB v 2.0 is
availble and offers more features, I'm unsure how well the module version
works.

>   3) The website has to be maintainable and reproducible. In
>      particular, this means:
>
>       a) We have to know where all of the source code comes from,
>          and who has added or changed what. (This is what CVS is
>          for.)

I understand why you want CVS.  I'll wait until the meeting to delve further
into this.

>       b) We need to be able to keep track of problems with the
>          website, and encourage people to fix them. (This is what
>          Bugzilla is for.)

Or a similar application.  Have you poked around
http://developers.postnuke.com to see how they are pulling these things
together?

> My openacs-based prototype has thus far failed at 2(a) -- not
> enough people have come forward to work on it. Dale's PostNuke
> prototype seemed more likely to satisfy 2(a), but currently
> lacks 3(a) and 3(b). IMO, this is not a serious problem, in
> that it is relatively easy to implement CVS and Bugzilla, just
> as we did with the openacs-based prototype.

We should look at some tools and see if we can get a tighter integration
with PostNuke. I would also suggest perhaps setting up a multi-sites layout
with developer.aclug.org as a sub-site. That would allow for a unified
login.

> If we agree that CVS and Bugzilla will be added, I have no
> problem starting with the PostNuke 7.1.4 code that Dale's
> prototype was based on, since I think it satisfies our bare
> requirements. I do have a problem waiting for some hopefully
> better future release, because that fails my point 1. If
> there's something more recent than 7.1.4 that can be used
> immediately, that's OK too.

0.7.2.1 is out, and 0.7.2.5 is due around the end of October.  I haven't
regression tested 0.7.2.1 against the current installed modules, so I don't
know what will break. One module, the forsale module IIRC, is running
particularly old code and may not survive the upgrade.  Otherwise, the basic
stuff should work.

> If we don't agree on using CVS and Bugzilla (or some suitable
> substitute) then IMHO this project is doomed, and I think it
> would be a waste of my time to participate. Please note that
> this is *NOT* because I want to hack on PostNuke, fork the
> code, etc.

Okay, perhaps I misunderstood the point you were trying to get across.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vice Chairman & Secretary - info@xxxxxxxxx