Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: July 2002:
[webdev] software platform

To: webdev@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [webdev] software platform
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:18:55 -0500

I've been having some private discussions with Dale Hodge about the
relative merits and demerits of the two ACLUG website prototypes:

   http://aclug.notwerk.net/ (aka openacs)
   http://aclug.neuralmatrix.org/ (aka postnuke)

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to move forward from
this point would be to switch to the postnuke software platform.
My main reasons for this conclusion are:

   1) The amount of work needed to get openacs up to an acceptable
      level of functionality is significantly greater.

   2) The amount of work that the group has been willing to do on
      openacs to date is clearly inadequate.

   3) My own level of participation is being seriously limited by
      other commitments, which has hampered us to date and is only
      likely to get worse.

I'm sorry about this. I still think that there are is a lot of
value in openacs that will be very hard to duplicate in postnuke.
(But there are also things in postnuke that have proven difficult
to duplicate in openacs.) If anyone wishes to argue with this
conclusion/recommendation, like, speak now. Same for questions.

If this meets with general approval, I'll make some suggestions
on how to proceed with postnuke in a future mail.

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * thull2 at cox.net * http://www.tomhull.com/