Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: July 2002:
[webdev] Re: RSS

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: RSS
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:31:38 -0500

Humm... I'm not sure if I agree with you there.  But I'm probably biased toward
PostNuke. I've hit a hundered or so sites, and there is enough of a framework
common to all of them that I can look around sites in foreign languages and
still be able to find my way around. It's doubtful that I could do that with
OpenACS. But is that important?

> OpenACS seems speedier.  I know that OpenACS is running on a p166.  What
> is PostNuke running on?

The PostNuke site is running an AMD K2-233. But it also hosts two other sites, a
news server, a IMAP server and some other assorted software.  Also, on first
page load, it's speed will depend on whether the RSS feeds need refreshed.
Network latentcy also enters into it, as my outgoing DSL rate is only 128k.  On
my local network, it seems to run fairly quickly, depending on what the current
server load is.

I could possibly speed things up a bit by using a php code cache and loading
mod-gzip on apache.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx