Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: March 2002:
[webdev] Re: webserver status

To: webdev@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [webdev] Re: webserver status
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:24:02 -0600

Dale W Hodge wrote:

> [...]

I'm taking the machine over early this afternoon (1PM). Should be up by
late this afternoon, but someone will post a notice to that effect.

Admin rights of interest:

  openacs user "system" can grant "Site-Wide Administrator"; there's a
    couple of things this doesn't give you, but as "Site-Wide Administrator"
    you can grant them as well
  user accounts: nsadmin, cvs, postgres; I have an account, and we can add
    other individuals who actually need to log in to change things (code,
    configuration; the database-driven stuff has web interfaces, so for
    that you just need to register and get appropriate user group rights)
  root user account

A few things haven't been done:

  set up cvs for remote access
  set up sudo
  figure out how to handle mail (openacs has 6-10 predefined mail users,
    as well as needs to be able to send mail [lots of spam features])
  rotate log files (right now these are very big, debug-oriented)
  tighten up firewalling
  I haven't touched ssh, but I am able to remotely log in using ssh
  backups
  have not yet configured aolserver nsopenssl, nscp, or nscgi modules
  cannot createlang pltcl (needed to do some database searches)

I have a home page with some links and a piece of intro text from the
old website; I have empty boxes for Events/News, since I haven't gotten
to digging up the code to populate them. (Need to think about how we
want to do these things anyway.) IMHO, doesn't look half bad.

I'm going to post two long pieces of notes shortly. More later.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/