Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: March 2002:
[webdev] Re: Are we making any progress?

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: Are we making any progress?
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:48:29 -0600

I'm assuming we're having a meeting.  I've had no response from anyone on the
presentations mailing list, and no announcement has been made.

> I'm really sorry -- I just haven't been able to function at all these last
> 2-3 weeks.

I know how that can get, sometimes even when I feel okay I don't get what I want
accomplished.

> I think the big gating issues are:
>
>  1) Technology framework. I haven't been able to get any grip on zope, and
>     don't much like what I've seen, at least for what I perceive as the needs
>     of this particular website. If all you wanna do is publish announcements,
>     zope's fine for that, but it doesn't do anywhere near as good a job of
>     facilitating community interaction. I also don't like its opaqueness,
>     which I see as a steep learning curve before anyone can extend the
>     framework. These concerns lead me to favor OpenACS.

I've had similar concerns with Zope from the beginning.  Goerzens dry sense of
humor had left me with the impression that we couldn't change that, or I would
have done something different long ago. I, along with Anne and John A. have had
some introduction to OpenACS. We started trying to learn it, but I don't know if
any of us actually completed the course. James Violette was the person who got
us interested, but I'm not sure what he's doing now.

As far as doing a community site, I wonder if our apathetic bunch would
contribute enough to make it worth the hassle to set it up.  Let's hope they
prove me wrong.

>  2) Machine and hosting. I had some discussions with Ryan Hunt on this, but
>     haven't heard anything lately. I have a machine I was thinking about
>     volunteering here.

Depending on what kind of hardware we need, I have some stuff I could donate to
the cause. We need to also come up with a reasonable backup scheme, or a way to
mirror the main server. If we build something as grand as you've proposed, we'll
need disaster recovery. A simple site can be easily rebuilt, that could not.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secretary - info@xxxxxxxxx