Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: March 2002:
[webdev] Re: Are we making any progress?

To: webdev@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [webdev] Re: Are we making any progress?
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:28:18 -0600

Dale W Hodge wrote:

> [...]

A face-to-face meeting would probably be more productive. I think 2/11 is a
regular aclug meeting date -- maybe we could find a neighboring room for a
breakout meeting. Tuesday might be OK instead.

I'm really sorry -- I just haven't been able to function at all these last
2-3 weeks.

I think the big gating issues are:

 1) Technology framework. I haven't been able to get any grip on zope, and
    don't much like what I've seen, at least for what I perceive as the needs
    of this particular website. If all you wanna do is publish announcements,
    zope's fine for that, but it doesn't do anywhere near as good a job of
    facilitating community interaction. I also don't like its opaqueness,
    which I see as a steep learning curve before anyone can extend the
    framework. These concerns lead me to favor OpenACS.

 2) Machine and hosting. I had some discussions with Ryan Hunt on this, but
    haven't heard anything lately. I have a machine I was thinking about
    volunteering here.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/