Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: February 2002:
[webdev] Re: [aclug-L] [announce] webdev project

To: webdev@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [webdev] Re: [aclug-L] [announce] webdev project
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:36:56 -0600

> > Now, having said all that, I think we have enough high-bandwidth access that
> > this really won't be necessary.  :)  We have a number of members who work
> > for ISPs... at least one of them has offered to do some hosting for us
> > (details remain unknown).  And we may have access to WSU's network.  In
> > either case, redundancy (for the purpose of bandwidth) will probably not be
> > necessary.
>
> In some ways, I'd like to try it "because we can". Linux is about innovation.
> Why not consider some less conventional thinking?

I used to do a LOT of things simply "because I can"... I don't have time any
more :)

I still like your idea, though, of doing round-robin DNS or other forms of
distributed hosting for that purpose... there's the question, though: Should
our main site be done this way if it's not necessary, and risk making things
more complex and possibly more prone to breakage?

Or would it be something to set up for a dummy/test/for-fun site?

--
"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a
means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." --