Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: tetrinext: February 2000:
[tetrinext] Re: draft of specific scoring details

Subject: [tetrinext] Re: draft of specific scoring details
From: Jared Johnson <solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 05:23:07 GMT

I'm forwarding this to the tetrinext mailing list as well.

> Looking at the penalty for a player who resigns from the game, the most
> practical way to calculate this is to assume that that player would have
> lost the game.

sounds good.

> The win bonus is more tricky but you may consider keeping this very simple
> also, Apply the formula as outlined before then add 5% for the clear winner.
> anymore than this would be out of balance.

how about giving the player a second win against the rest of the players as a
whole? (calculating this using the average of all the other players' ratings)?
Doesn't seem like this would exceed 5% often, but it would make it more related
to the skill level of the people you're playing against and so forth.  This also
means that it wouldn't be a constant level and thus would be harder to exploit
=)

thanks for the input.  it looks like the basic thing that should be done, as
you've done, is to use the very complicated formulas in a simple but sensible
way.

--
Jared Johnson
solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Physician:  One upon whom we set our hopes when ill and our dogs when well.
-- Ambrose Bierce