Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: tetrinext: February 2000:
[tetrinext] Re: Network protocols

To: tetrinext@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tetrinext] Re: Network protocols
From: Ka-shu Wong <zillidot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:01:37 +1100 (EST)

> Have the server check each move... if it's invalid, simply discard it.

How do you propose to do that?

I've been thinking about this (before I sent my first message) and I've
come up with the idea of an 'action stream'.  An 'action stream' consists
of actions that can be performed on a field.

There should not exist streams that are both legal and impossible to
produce without cheating.

The 'action stream' consists of 'actions'.  This actions include:

move block left/right
move block down
drop + solidify block  (this is a single 'action')
special block usage

(probably some others that I've left out)

Instead of field updates, the action stream is sent to the server.  The
same action stream is fed to the field in the client program of the
player.

Comments?

KS