Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2009:
Offlineimap memory usage

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Offlineimap memory usage
From: James Stapley <james.stapley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:59:00 +0200

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is in fact normal, but I think I'm seeing rather
abnormal memory usage in offlineimap? I've been using it for a few
months now, and not paid attention to it's memory footprint until just
now, so I don't have a baseline to compare it against.

Here's the line from ps aux:
<user>      7097  2.1 31.2 718312 159832 ?       Sl   12:16   0:40
/usr/bin/python2.5 /usr/bin/offlineimap -c /home/<myuser>/.offlineimaprc

It's using over 31% of the memory on the system! (I checked again a
moment ago and it's now up to 46.8%, and now falling again)

I use offlineimap to sync email for multiple users (4-6, depending on
who actually needs it) from one single .offlineimaprc file between two
servers (basically mirroring mail between an internal and an external
server).

The system also has amavisd, clamav and spamassassin (spamd/spamc),
which could perhaps be "interfering" (slow mail processing?).

I'm using offlineimap 6.2.0 on Ubuntu 8.04.x (server), (a virtual
machine, running in vmware server v1.x with 512mb RAM allocated to it).

Is this kind of memory usage normal, or is there anything I can do to
bring it down?

Many thanks and best regards,

James.

-- Type: text/x-vcard