Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2009:
Re: Best way to configure backup?

To: Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Best way to configure backup?
From: Paul Hinze <paul.t.hinze@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:39:20 -0500

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@xxxxxxxx> wrot=
e:
> I want a one-way pull, not a two-way sync. =A0I just want my backup
> to include the latest gmail state. =A0In particular, I want to make sure =
that
> changes in the backup (which would always be inadvertent) never
> get propagated to gmail.

AFAIK, two-way sync is central to offlineimap's design; there might be
a way to configure it to do only one way, but I'll leave that to those
who know more than me. :)

My suggestion is this: rather than trying to work around the main
behavior of offlineimap, you might be better served looking into
something that does one-way sync as its primary task.  I would
recommend looking into fetchmail [1] [2]; it's something I used for a
time to do just what you say--backup a GMail account.

I'm sure there is a way to get offlineimap to suit your needs, but I'm
just not sure if it's the right tool for the job you're looking for.
Others on this list, feel free to disagree. :)

Cheers,

Paul

[1] fetchmail homepage: http://fetchmail.berlios.de/
[2] "what is fetchmail and why should i bother?":
http://fetchmail.berlios.de/fetchmail-FAQ.html#G1