Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: September 2009:
Re: Last two patches

To: Christoph Höger <choeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Last two patches
From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 17:58:17 +0200

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 04:30:56PM +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 04.09.2009, 15:50 +0200 schrieb Nicolas Sebrecht:
> >
> > The patches are broken in two ways:
> > - the encoding is wrong;
>
> Yeah. That is due to a bad habit of git format-patch I could fix that.

Ok. I'm not sure it is related to format-patch itself because it doesn't
have any option to change encoding. I don't know your local workflow but
it could come from the text editor used after format-patch and before
the email sending.

> > - the line wrapping of mutt made the patches unusable.
>
> I have no idea where that comes from. Emails sent to myself for testing
> worked just fine. This must be the list management software somewhere.

I don't think so. Did you tried git send-email?

> > Also (the most important FMPOV), the first patch do more than 1800
> > insertions and 1000 deletions. Nobody will review such a patch. Could
> > you please consider to split this patch?
>
> Hnn. That is true. But the patch mainly moves files instead of changing
> them. There seems to be no way to express that as a simple patch.
> I do not see a point in making patches for every single moved file.

Perhaps missing the -M and -C options of format-patch?

--
Nicolas Sebrecht