Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2009:
Re: Maildirs and mutt's decode-copy

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Maildirs and mutt's decode-copy
From: "Christian G. Warden" <cwarden@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:22:45 -0700

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:36:42PM +0100, seanh wrote:
> With mutt you generally want to use mboxes instead of maildirs if
> possible because it means you can decode-copy (esc-C) an email to a
> nice, single file in your homedir with just that email in it. If mutt's
> mbox_type is set to maildir then when you decode-copy an email mutt will
> instead write an annoying set of maildir directories with the single
> email buried in there somewhere. But since offlineimap supports maildir
> and not mbox if you're using mutt with offlineimap you will have
> mbox_type set to maildir.
>
> Anyone know a way around this, to get mutt to decode-copy to mbox while
> using maildir otherwise?

You don't have to set mbox_type to maildir to access your offlineimap
maildir folders.  You can just point folder and spoolfile at your
offlineimap maildirs.

You probably don't want to be creating new folders in your local
maildir repository since they won't be replicated back to the remote
imap repository by offlineimap, so having mbox_type as mbox shouldn't
pose any problems.

I use macros to switch mutt to my imap server if I need to create
a new folder:

        macro pager ")" ":set folder=~/OfflineImap\n:set
spoolfile=~/OfflineImap/INBOX\nc!\n" "Go Offline"
        macro index ")" ":set folder=~/OfflineImap\n:set
spoolfile=~/OfflineImap/INBOX\nc!\n" "Go Offline"
        macro pager "(" ":set folder=imaps://mail.example.com/\n:set
spoolfile=imaps://mail.example.com/INBOX\nc!\n" "Go Online"
        macro index "(" ":set folder=imaps://mail.example.com/\n:set
spoolfile=imaps://mail.example.com/INBOX\nc!\n" "Go Online"

Christian