Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2009:
Re: Looking for patch reviewers

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Looking for patch reviewers
From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:07:40 +0200

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 07:10:04PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> Hi folks,

Hi John,

( I'm talking here as a long time of OfflineIMAP user, developper and
python beginner. )

> I am very happy to see the large numbers of OfflineIMAP patches coming
> in lately.  It is something of a happy problem, though: I don't have
> enough time to review them.   The result is that occasionally broken
> patches get committed, or else patches sit in my inbox for a very long time.

I think you get the point. Reviewing is actually very important.

> So I'm looking for any people that might be interested to do a first
> level of triage on incoming patches: take a look at them for quality,
> make sure that any new features they introduce are documented, that they
> don't harm existing installations, etc.  Ideally I could pull from the
> git trees of such people periodically.  We could have a group of people
> that can review patches for the whole thing, or do a kernel-like
> structure where some people review patches for certain areas.

Isn't reviewing already made by people here? I tend to think it is.
Otherwise, I'm not sure that having a strict-defined structure in
patches submission will really help.

That said, I believe we could improve stable release in some ways:
- make release canditade cycle longer ;
- write tests scripts to check regressions.

Also, I guess that the documentation reviewing is not made easier with
its current building system. If I'm right, documention _is_ the wiki
which is donwloaded from the website. Maybe we could change that by
leting the wiki live his wiki life and write an official man-page
integrated in the git repository. Documentation content is highly
related to features improvements and the mailing list is probably the
best place for reviewing.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Sebrecht