Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: June 2009:
Max Attachment Size and Recent messages feature

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Max Attachment Size and Recent messages feature
From: "Mike Dawson" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 08:04:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi All,

I have done some experimentation with offlineimap and imapsync over a high
latency / slow connection (satellite) and offlineimap really does perform
very nicely compared to anything else.

To make it perfect for us here I want to contribute two features - one to
set a maximum attachment / message size filter and the other to allow it
to consider only mail from the last x days (if someone has a huge existing
account then we don't really want to download all of it - just the last
week or so of mail is probably enough.

I saw someone on this list before mentioning a max file size feature - but
I didn't see that as yet implemented...

I'm not that fluent in Python (yet) but this looks like a good way of
making some improvements and I've looked into the source and it seems
pretty neatly modelled.  I am reasonably fluent at mail server admin /
looking into the IMAP protocol as well as other languages so this doesn't
look too hard...

If the remote server supports server side search then it should be
possible to order that to only return messages newer than the requested
date, no?

Any particular hints on this would be most appreciated - I shall look to
code and test this in the next few days.

Cheers,

-Mike

--

Mike Dawson
Interim CEO

Mob: +93 (798) 258 092
Office/Support: +93 75 202 6511 / +93 797 500 653
Email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: mike.dawson