Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2008:
Re: OfflineIMAP and KMail

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OfflineIMAP and KMail
From: "David L. Emerson" <demerson3x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:07:32 -0700

Hey Josh,

nice to hear you got it working! I have been away from my computer for a
week...

The patch I suggested for 5.99.4 is pretty much identical for 6.0.0,
except the line numbers have changed. There is not any explicit call to
mkdir('.') -- rather, there is a call to os.mkdirs with a passed
parameters, which in this case turns out to be '.' -- so I just added a
line to check if the passed param is '.' in which case it does not make
the call.

I also ran across that problem of everything in the inbox getting
deleted -- it happened when I was trying to set stuff up, if I deleted
my local copies and did not also delete the offlineimap metadata (found
in the metadata folder defined in .offlineimaprc) So if you delete
everything and start over -- which I had to do several times in order
to get things set up -- you've got to also delete that metadata, so
offlineimap doesn't think the deletion was something that should be
propagated to the server. Of course, if you change around your
nametrans, it has the APPEARANCE of deleted messages as well. This is
also a good argument for setting up a test account to configure first,
before actually syncing your main account. Of course, that's easier in
some situations than others.

I'm fairly certain it is possible to make folders "flat", i.e. NOT
subfolders of INBOX. In fact, I believe I had such a configuration
previously, but I decided on the subfolders-of-inbox approach; I don't
remember why. At any rate, the way to do it is by tweaking the
nametrans function.

As for creating a FAQ ... the thing is, I don't know how frequently the
question is actually asked! And it'd be a lot of work ... let 'em look
through the mailing list archives :)  or if you want to prepare one,
power to ya, and I'll be happy to contribute a bit. Of course, since
you've just gone through it, it's probably fresher in your mind. But it
would be really nice to get this well documented, as I would hate to
have to set it all up again myself without good documentation...

~David.