Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
Re: 5.99.13 released; important upgrade for 5.99.12 users

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 5.99.13 released; important upgrade for 5.99.12 users
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 21:44:37 -0500

On Sunday 11 May 2008 6:26:35 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Microsoft Exchange can only reference up to 65,535 different
> properties in an email header.
> offlineimap creates a unique one every time an email is received, so
> the day you have received more than 65,535 messages (happens quite
> quickly these days with the amount of spam) any exchange based mail
> server will refuse to accept the new email.

<wiping look of utter horror off my face>

ohmygoodness.  So you're saying that in a given (mail folder?  system?),
Exchange can only have up to 65,535 unique header names?

sigh.

The mind boggles.

> instead of creating a unique property ID per message, offlineimap
> should do the much more standard approach like:

The reason it does the former is to make searches easier, since a given
message may be processed by OfflineIMAP more than once (if it moves folders,
for instance).  That way, we can request just the one specific header back,
and for servers that cache these things, it could conceivably boost
performance.

> Now, not too sure what to do unfortunately....

Well, I'd entertain a patch to adjust the behavior, but then you'll have to
deal with getting back multiple X-OfflineIMAP-Id headers.  (Unless you can
actually match the content, which I forget).

Anyhow, this smells unrelated to the LocalStatus problem, so can I take it
that my latest patch finally fixed that?