Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: February 2008:
Re: Slowdown

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Aaron Kaplan" <lists2546@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Slowdown
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:00:54 -0600

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 5:33:31 pm Aaron Kaplan wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 16:52:38 -0600, "John Goerzen"
>
> <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > I might suggest you grab the darcs tree and try unapplying a few
> > patches, and
> > see what happens.
>
> The slowdown appears to be related to the removal of the local version
> of imaplib.py.  This threw me for a loop for a while: I unpulled big

Ugh.  Unfortunately, that's almost the worst possible news, because
imaplib.py is *huge*.  I'm going to grasp at straws here to suggest where
you might start on this.  I guess the first thing to do is figure out if an
OfflineIMAP patch made the change, or an upstream change made the
difference.

You could look at the darcs history for imaplib.py from the time I imported
2.52 until the time we got rid of it. You might try the unmodified 2.52
imaplib.py with the current code and see if it is any better.  If it is,
that would point the bloody finger squarely at the Python maintainers.  If
it's not, that means one of the OfflineIMAP patches boosted performance.
Then at that point, it's a matter of figuring out which one, and seeing if
we can get it sent upstream.  I do not want to reintroduce imaplib.py to the
source tree.

-- John