Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: February 2008:
Re: Slowdown

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Slowdown
From: "Aaron Kaplan" <lists2546@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:33:31 +0100

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 16:52:38 -0600, "John Goerzen"
<jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> I might suggest you grab the darcs tree and try unapplying a few patches,
> and
> see what happens.

The slowdown appears to be related to the removal of the local version
of imaplib.py.  This threw me for a loop for a while: I unpulled big
bunches of patches until I got to a version that was fast, then I
started pulling patches back in, to see where it would get slow again,
but I pulled all the way back up to the current version and the slowdown
didn't reappear!  This turned out to be because after I pulled the patch
"Remove local imaplib.py", the local imaplib.py was gone, but the local
imaplib.pyc that had been compiled from it was still there.  Once I
deleted that, it got slow again.

I did my testing on a single folder with 1500 messages, and it takes 12
seconds with the current version vs. 7 seconds for the old version.
/usr/lib/python2.5/imaplib.py on my system says it's version 2.58; the
last version included with offlineimap says version 2.52.

-Aaron