Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: November 2007:
Re: OfflineIMAP and launchd

To: Raffi Khatchadourian <khatchad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OfflineIMAP and launchd
From: Vincent Beffara <vbeffara+ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:06:46 +0100

> >Do you know what happens if a given run of OfflineIMAP takes more than
> >2 minutes though ?
>=20
> Well, since I'm using the new -q option (quick) I don't have this
> problem, but to answer your question, yes, offlineimap will just exit
> and say that there is already an instance executing with the same
> metadata directory.

Agreed - I was wondering whether launchd had a provision against such=20
cases, since not all programs are as well written as OfflineIMAP :-)

> >killall -HUP offlineimap
>=20
> True, but that didn't work for me since the parent process is Python, s=
> I would need to say killall -9 Python but if I have another python
> process running that wouldn't be desirable.

Ooops, that will teach me to talk before testing - indeed the process=20
name is that of the python interpreter. Thinking about it though, the=20
safest way to kill it would probably to use the contents of the=20
.offlineimap/pid file, wouldn't it ? (Unlikely that there are more than=20
one user running offlineimap every 2 minutes on your laptop, but you see=20
my point.)

  /vincent

--=20
Vincent Beffara