Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2007:
Re: Evolution Mistake

To: Carlos Moffat <carlos.lst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Evolution Mistake
From: Bernhard Egger <bernhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:48:34 +0900

On 08/27/2007 11:45 PM, Carlos Moffat wrote:
[snip]
>> Nevertheless, from the docs/man page I guess what should work is the
>> following:
>>
>> 1. delete all your mail on the server (all mails/folders in/below INBOX)
>> 2. delete the ~/.offlineimap directory
>> 3. change the separator character to what it was when you created the local
>> copy
>> 4. sync, i.e., run offlineimap
>>
>> I guess right now you have stale information in your ~/.offlineimap
>> directory.
>> By deleting that directory, it will start clean and should IMHO copy all your
>> mails back to the server.
>>
> This didn't work. All the local emails got deleted.
>
> I guess I'll need to recover things some other way.

sorry to hear that. I have tried your scenario myself, and indeed it did
not work. Here's what I have done:
1. created a new user/mailaccount on our mailserver
2. sent one message to that account
3. setup offlineimap and synchronized the new account
4. copied some folders from another local copy (in maildir format, of
course) into the directory tree of the test account.
5. ran offlineimap

I would have expected offlineimap to sychronize the local storage with
the remote server, i.e., create the new folders on the server and copy
the messages. However, nothing happened.

The documentation at
http://software.complete.org/offlineimap/static/doc/manual.html, chapter
 "Deleting Local Folders" reads "OfflineIMAP does a two-way
synchronization. That is, if you make a change to the mail on the
server, it will be propagated to your local copy, and vise-versa."

Unfortunately, this does not seem to work - at least not as I understand
it (also see my other post to this mailing list today).

I have re-run offlineimap with -1 -d imap,maildir and logged the output.
 Maybe a developer can tell us what we are doing wrong.

configuration: http://www.barnoid.com/offlineimap.rc
debug log: http://www.barnoid.com/debug.log
metadata: http://www.barnoid.com/offlineimap.metadata.tgz

Thanks,