Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: December 2006:
Re: FW: [Fwd: IDLE Command]

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: [Fwd: IDLE Command]
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:49:48 -0600

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 01:33:08PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> transferred) use about 5 MB of traffic, which is a lot every, say, 5
> minutes.
>
> I think the IMAP4 IDLE command (RFC 2177) might be a solution here, as
> it a) reduces the traffic for regular checking as the server signals the
> client, when something changes and b) new mails are seen immediately,
> not just after the polling interval.

The simple answer is that if someone want to write up a nice patch, that
works, and works even with servers that don't support IDLE, I'd be happy
to apply it.  In my own case, the traffic load is not a burden and I
don't have time to write such a thing myself.

As far as imaplib2.py is concerned, I hadn't heard of it before.  Again,
a well-written patch to support it would be accepted.