Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: December 2006:
FW: [Fwd: IDLE Command]

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: [Fwd: IDLE Command]
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:33:08 -0600

I don't know why this didn't hit the list; forwarding.

----- Forwarded message from Martin Pohlack <mp26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

From: Martin Pohlack <mp26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:06:03 +0100
To: jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Fwd: IDLE Command]

Hi John Goerzen,

I sent the email below to the list offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx but it did
not came through (I did not get a copy, although I have the echo flag on
and the mail is not in the archive).

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Martin Pohlack

From: Martin Pohlack <mp26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:26:45 +0100
To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IDLE Command

Hi List,

I just tried out offlineimap yesterday.  I want to use it for regular
synchronization as a background process.

The initial copy of my whole mail-account took quiet some time (~ 1.3
GB).  This was to be expected :-).

However, even empty synchronization runs (with 0 mails being
transferred) use about 5 MB of traffic, which is a lot every, say, 5
minutes.

I think the IMAP4 IDLE command (RFC 2177) might be a solution here, as
it a) reduces the traffic for regular checking as the server signals the
client, when something changes and b) new mails are seen immediately,
not just after the polling interval.

After my first peeks into imaplib.py, IDLE seems not to be supported.
Are there any plans to implement it in the near future?

I also found that there is a fork (?) called imaplib2.py, which is an
supposedly API compatible version with some additional IMAP commands,
including IDLE.

  http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~piers/python/imaplib2

However, a quick replacement hack does not work out of the box for me,
let alone utilize the IDLE command.  Is there any experience with
imaplib2.py, any reasons not to use it?

How about switching to imaplib2 or porting back the IDLE stuff?  How
much work do you expect for supporting something like the IDLE mechanism
in offlineimap?

Cheers,
Martin Pohlack

----- End forwarded message -----