Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2006:
Re: mail sorting solutions?

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mail sorting solutions?
From: Kristian Rink <kristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:49:44 +0200

John;

at first, thanks a lot for your hints... :)

Am Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:39:29 -0500
schrieb John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I filter server-side, but you can also filter client-side.  As long as
> you have one particular machine that does this for you, it should be
> easy enough.  Just have it examine INBOX and move *everything* into a
> different folder.  OfflineIMAP can sync these changes back to the
> server (it's not the most efficient at it, but it'll work).

Hmmm, I'm afraid I didn't make myself completely clear. :) My point is
that I know about a bunch of tools but I don't know how to make them
work well with offlineimap. By now, I came to the conclusion that I
want to run offlineimap periodically and, afterwards, run procmail to
sort mail locally (and sync'ing the sorted mailboxes back to the IMAP
server). However, right now I'm not sure where to hook procmail in to
do the job:

- Earlier, I've been using procmail+fetchmail to pull POP3 mail and had
procmail invoked using $HOME/.forward.

- In a certain setup on an old server (also POP3-related, though), I
used to sort mail having a wrapper around procmail to make it run
across mailboxes periodically in order to "post-process" the mail in
them.

For offlineimap, I see two questions arise:

- Does offlineimap evaluate $HOME/.forward in order to execute procmail
this way?

- Is there any way in offlineimap to set up a "postprocessing" job to be
run locally after sync'ing mail with the IMAP server?

- Last option, I am thinking about building a cron job to regularly run
"offlineimap -o" followed by procmail - would this do?

Thanks for your patience and bye,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink *  http://zimmer428.net * jab: kawazu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
icq: 48874445 *  fon: ++49 176 2447 2771