Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: September 2003:
Re: OfflineIMAP in Windows via Cygwin

To: Chris Withers <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OfflineIMAP in Windows via Cygwin
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:24:01 -0500

Chris,

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 10:11:14AM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> I'm trying to get OfflineIMAP working on Windows 2000 via Cygwin.
> But I'm not doing too well ;-)

I have heard reports on this list (sorry, am offline at the moment so can't
check just now) that OfflineIMAP is not compatible with Cygwin because
Maildir is not compatible with it.  Specifically, the Maildir specification
requires the use of colons in a filename, which is apparently a huge no-no
on Windows, even under Cygwin.  There appears to be a lack of any real
standard among Maildir-using Windows mail readers as to how to approach
this.

You have just not made it far enough to see this problem yet.  But don't say
I didn't warn you :-)

> I then saved offlineimap.conf to ~/.offlineimaprc and tried to run
> OfflineIMAP with:
>
> $ python offlineimap.py
>
> This gave me an empty TK Window and not a lot else.

One thing to try would be to switch to the TTY UI -- use -u TTY.TTYUI.  It
is possible that there is some weirdness with the Tk UI on Windows.

> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'd also be fascinated to hear if anyone's
> managed to get OfflineIMAP working on Windows without Cygwin. The fcntl
> module being missing was the first problem I hit...

I suspect there will be a few annoyances like that which someone
knowledgable with the Windows platform could patch -- patches which I would
be happy to apply.

I do not have any Windows machines here, so I can't debug that.