Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: June 2003:
Re: Problem with AccountHashGenerator(config)

To: Akkana Peck <akkana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problem with AccountHashGenerator(config)
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:26:22 -0500

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:07:09PM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> What solutions are people using for delayed mail transport from a
> laptop -- to queue up when offline, then send from whatever relay
> host is appropriate once you reconnect?

I use Postfix on my laptop with a long timeout.  When an Internet connection
is available, it will automatically transmit messages in its queue after
awhile.

Since I am often on different networks with different relay hosts, I have
configured a Postfix server on my mail server to always relay mail from my
laptop only.  There are several ways to do this:

 * POP-before-SMTP
 * SASL authentication
 * SSL certificate-based authentication

I use the latter because it is easy to set up with Postfix, gives me an
encrypted data stream as well, and is quite secure.

Another option entirely is UUCP.  If you have a Unix box somewhere, you can
use UUCP to queue up your mail and have it sent to that box.  UUCP can run
over SSL encrypted tunnels quite easily and is built for just this sort of
offline queueing.

If you don't have a Unix box on the 'net anywhere, then you have a couple of

1. Use a mail reader that has different accounts or identities, letting you
select which server to send the message through at composition time;

2. Adjust your laptop's mail server whenever you pop up on a different
network.