Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: December 2002:
Re: Server-style restart

To: Jared Rhine <jared@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Server-style restart
From: Martijn Pieters <mj@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:33:21 -0500

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:48:54AM -0800, Jared Rhine wrote:
> So daemontools is a viable option for this issue.  Probably a good
> option if you're already a daemontools user.  If you're not already a
> user, I'd encourage you to try it, but beware that it'll take you a
> while to wrap your head around it, if only because of its utter
> simplicity.  Like most DJB software, it does exactly what it is
> supposed to in an extremely robust way.

What I don't like:

- It's aversion for a FHS compliant directory structure; I get warnings all
  over the place that DJB will not support it. I partially buy the /services
  directory, but the other top-level directories not; and they introduce
  extra system-administration headaches. And why not /etc/services?

- Need to reboot to make it go on installation.

Generally, daemontools requires to do things so much different it is painful
to support.

--
Martijn Pieters