Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2002:
Re: Dots in dir names

To: Martijn Pieters <mj@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Dots in dir names
From: Robert Flemming <flemming@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:41:08 -0700

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 03:07:31PM -0400, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> offlineimap uses remote and not local mailbox names. The patch I sent you
> corrects this.
>
> Local mailboxes are *not* hierarchical directories like IMAP folders. I
> believe that the maildir format doesn't support nested mailboxes like that.

The patch did indeed fix the problem.  I don't get how maildir not
supporting nested directories is relevant though.  If I currently have a
maildir called trash.trash-2002-07 I can do:

mkdir trash
mv trash.trash-2002-07 trash/trash-2002-07

The structure of the maildir dir is untouched and yeah it's an extra
navigation step in the MUA, but that would be more in line with the IMAP
folder hierarchy rather than what it does now.  I'm guessing there's a
reason why it was done this way, but I'm just curious if it was a design
decision or a technical constraint.

Robert