Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2006:
[linux-help] Re: Protocols running?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Protocols running?
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:51:36 -0500 (CDT)

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for... You probably mean what
daemons are running, and what versions they are.  Although most protocols
do have versions, the versions change very very rarely, and there are many
programs that use the same version of the protocol, and many programs use
multiple protocols.  Since you mentioned SSH, for instance, I'll use that
as an example.  There are two (common) SSH protocols... SSH version 1, and
SSH version 2.  Any modern version of OpenSSH can use both protocol
versions (although version 2 is prefered nowdays, as its more secure).

OpenSSH is not the only program that uses SSH, though.  There's also the
"standard" version of SSH (which is nowdays used less frequently than
OpenSSH), and there are also SSH servers and clients available from many
other vendors.  Which protocols these servers and clients use will
obviously vary by the vendor.  putty is a common SSH client for Windows.
It supports both SSH protocols v1 and v2, as well as telnet, and probably
rsh and other protocols as well.

I suspect what you want to know is how to tell which daemons (servers) are
running on your machine.  Although there is no single file that can
possibly tell you this, one place to look is /etc/inetd.conf.  This will
(generally) tell you which programs are set to run as services.  It is
also possible to run a daemon in... well... daemon mode.  In which case
it's running constantly, and won't show up in that file.  This is more
common nowdays than it was way-back-in-the-day when computer systems had
very little memory, so having a daemon running all the time was a waste of
memory.  To see what programs are running at the moment (including
daemons) something like 'top' or 'ps' are probably your best bet.

I hope this helps.

-- Jonathan