Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2003:
[linux-help] Re: new to this, need help please

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: new to this, need help please
From: bruce bales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:42:10 -0500

The greatest danger to using the machine as root is that it is very easy to
mess up something very important by hitting the wrong key.  It also makes the
machine more vulnerable to access through the internet or someone who just
happens by.

Yes, there are some tutorials online (a google search of "linux tutorial"
shows over four million).  But if you haven't internet access at home, a book
would be handy.  I have "Using Linux," a 1998 Que book, with lots if
information
that I don't use much anymore that you could have.  Will you be at the meeting
Monday?  Or if you're in a hurry, I live in Andover.

bruce