Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Grub configuration

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Grub configuration
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:54:48 -0500

Ivan wrote:

>Hello, I recently installed Gentoo, and I am having trouble getting Grub
>to congfigure correctly.
>
>I have windows XP on what I think to be (hd0,0) or the primary hard disk
>Gentoo is on (hd1,0) or the secondary hard disk.
>
>I think the trouble has to do with my spaces in the grub.conf file.
>
>I wrote :
>default 0
>timeout 30
>splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
>title=Windows XP Home
>root (hd0,0)
>chainloader (hd0,0)+!
>
>title=Gentoo Linux
>root (hd1,0)
>kernel (hd1,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hdd3
>initrd (hd1.0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r7
>

>But, alas it complains about a complete filename or block.  I am not
>sure as to the exact meanings of the two numbers after the disk designation.
>
>my disks are on the second ide cable, so they show up as hdc and hdd.
>
>thanks.
>
>Ivan

>visit http://www.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Your description above implies that you installed the grub boot loader
on the MBR.
Dual booting with XP and Linux cannot easily be done using the linux
boot loader on the MBR because the WormOS does not like booting from the
grub loader..

I was able to set it up to dual boot easily by using instructions I
found here.

        http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

Essentially you have XP installed and bootable.
You then install Linux on another partition or drive and install the
boot loader to the first sector of the boot partition (NOT the mbr)
Then with a few commands you copy the boot sector as a file and put it
in the c:/ directory of the XP disk and make the XP boot menu use that
as one of the boot options.

This worked flawlessly for me. I followed the instructions and it booted
first time.