Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Scroll mouse only knows down

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Scroll mouse only knows down
From: Ryan Claycamp <ryanc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:21:05 -0400

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:05:27AM -0500, James Lancaster wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2003 23:16, you wrote:
> > I purchased a cheap GE/Jasco optical scroll mouse last night. It works
> > fine except for the scroll wheel; I can only scroll down. After a
> > search on Google Groups I discovered the xev program. It reports that
> > either way I move the wheel is an event for button 5.
> >
> > I've changed the protocol under X to different ones, I started with
> > ImPS/2. Sometimes xev only sees three buttons but if it sees the wheel
> > both directions are button 5. Is there anything I can can do? Should I
> > just return the mouse? If so, do I replace it or spend a little extra
> > money to get a Logitech or even Microsoft? I've heard that Microsoft
> > at least makes good hardware.
>
> The correct protocol is IMPS/2 even for USB mice (of topic: those peole with
> more buttons, ExplorerPS/2 is the driver (5btns+2scroll), including the
> Logitech MXseries etc: http://linux.netpimpz.com/mx700/)
>
> I would replace it. After I got my first optical mouse I found a $2 one at
> the saturday sale and bought it, and it didn't work correctly. If it reports
> button 5 for both, it is very likely broken.

I ended up returning the mouse and getting another one. It had the
same problem. By the time I returned that one it was a new week and
new sales. There was a rebate on the Microsoft USB optical scroll
mouse bringing it to $20, only $5 extra. I got it working, after a
kernel recompile, and things are great.

I don't think I tried the ExplorerPS/2 driver or even knew about
it. The Jasco did have 5 buttons and a scroll wheel. Maybe that would
have done the trick. Because the second mouse acted the same way I'm
sure it was a driver/software issue. I didn't have the patience to
chase the problem and for an extra $5 got a good working mouse.

Ryan
--
Having lost control of the Senate and lacking a clear leader and message,
the Democratic Party appears to be in disarray. What do you think?