Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Scroll mouse only knows down

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Scroll mouse only knows down
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:05:27 -0500

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 23:16, you wrote:
> I purchased a cheap GE/Jasco optical scroll mouse last night. It works
> fine except for the scroll wheel; I can only scroll down. After a
> search on Google Groups I discovered the xev program. It reports that
> either way I move the wheel is an event for button 5.
>
> I've changed the protocol under X to different ones, I started with
> ImPS/2. Sometimes xev only sees three buttons but if it sees the wheel
> both directions are button 5. Is there anything I can can do? Should I
> just return the mouse? If so, do I replace it or spend a little extra
> money to get a Logitech or even Microsoft? I've heard that Microsoft
> at least makes good hardware.

The correct protocol is IMPS/2 even for USB mice (of topic: those peole with
more buttons, ExplorerPS/2 is the driver (5btns+2scroll), including the
Logitech MXseries etc: http://linux.netpimpz.com/mx700/)

I would replace it. After I got my first optical mouse I found a $2 one at
the saturday sale and bought it, and it didn't work correctly. If it reports
button 5 for both, it is very likely broken.

My personal preference is Logitech. They are definatly worth it. I have
several 2nd gen optical mice (the $20 or so) and they work bettter than any
other mice I have used, and can be used on just about everything.
(Additionally, my family has MX500s and a wireless (which I would reccomend
against it sometimes fails to respond for a small amount of time-if you want
it get a wireless one I would reccomend http://www.gyration.com in addition
to being an optical mouse, which is one of the best I have used, it can be
used in the air (and after about half an hour pretty well) however they are
pricy and I don't own one.)

James L