Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2003:
[linux-help] Re: floppy problem

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: floppy problem
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:19:44 -0500

> can be used  to display more than the 80 chars that default to display.
>  Also, if you are using a terminal window under X (I am using gnome);
>  simply stretching the width of the window prior to issuing the ps
> command will display the output line to the current width of the window.

yup, a maximize of the window works great for that! :)

> I often use the "kill -9 PID" option to kill processes that will not die
> by other means. However, some processes will not respond to that and may
> need the parent process killed (the terminal window or the Xwindow
> server) in order to force the system to kill it.

also, if you're too lazy to type in the PID or have numerous threads of the
same name running that you want to kill, 'killall -9 <name>" works great...
for instance, if for some reason you've got 20 "ls" processes running,
"killall -9 ls" will kill them all... but if there's only one process, it
just allows you to kill it by name instead of pid... very handy if you're
too lazy (like me) to lookup the pid...

> I have not tried to kill anything with a status of D, but a status of
> (defunct) or a (Z) cannot be killed without killing the parent process.

is there a way (via command line, no gui) to see which processes are child
processes of which other processes?  99% of the time i end up w/ a defunct
process, i end up having to reboot or logout/login because i don't know
which process is causing that defunct process to continue (granted, it
doesn't happen often, so i'm not TOO concerned)...

thx,
gLaNDix